Supporting social work practice with people who are living with dementia
RiPfA has been commissioned by the Department of Health to produce new open access resources to support social care practice with people who are living with dementia.
The materials are based on the existing Department of Health manual for good social work practice: supporting adults with dementia and will be launched in May 2017. They will cover:
- How to take a person-centred strengths-based approach to working with people who have dementia.
- Types and stages of dementia and how to adapt social work approaches to meet the person’s needs at each different stage.
- Being an advocate: how to challenge poor decisions or discriminatory practice that affects a person with dementia negatively.
- Preparing for the end of life.
- Multi-disciplinary working.
- How to work with carers to assess and support their needs.